Brute force attack is a technique used to try various possible combinations of passwords with the aim of finding the correct password.
This technique is usually used by hackers who want to steal and seize sensitive information from a system by breaking into passwords that have been provided by users.
This technique allows using a very powerful computer to try as many password combinations as possible in a short amount of time.
However, this method can also be very slow and time consuming if the password you want to find is complex.
What are the Brute Force Attack Methods
Basically, the brute force attack method is to try all possible combinations of passwords sequentially until the correct password is found.
This can be done by using a very powerful computer to calculate all possible password combinations in a short amount of time. However, this method can also be very slow and time consuming if the password you want to find is complex.
To increase the speed of the brute force attack process, hackers usually use several techniques such as:
- Using a password dictionary: This technique uses a list of commonly used passwords to try to find the correct password.
- Using multiple computers: This technique uses multiple computers to try a number of password combinations simultaneously, thereby speeding up the process of finding the correct password.
- Using computational algorithms: This technique uses sophisticated computational algorithms to find the correct password in a faster way than trying all possible combinations of passwords in succession.
Although the brute force attack method can be very effective in finding the correct password, this method also has several disadvantages, such as:
- This method can be quite slow if the password you want to find is complex.
- This method can eat up a lot of computer resources, so it can cause damage to the system being hacked.
- This method can be very easily detected by the security system being hacked, so that it can cause preventive actions from the system.
Therefore, hackers usually use the brute force attack method as one of a set of techniques used to find the correct password.
They also usually use other techniques such as phishing techniques or man-in-the-middle attack techniques to get the information needed to carry out a brute force attack.
How to Prevent Brute Force Attacks
There are several ways you can do to prevent brute force attacks, including:
- Using complex passwords: Complex passwords will take longer to discover through brute force attack methods. Complex passwords usually consist of a random combination of letters, numbers and symbols and are at least 8 characters long.
- Using two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication is a security method that requires the user to confirm his identity using two different pieces of information, such as a password and a verification code sent via SMS. By using two-factor authentication, hackers must know both pieces of information in order to get into the system being hacked.
- Using login restrictions: Login restrictions are a security method that limits the number of login attempts a user can make in a given time. For example, the system will only allow the user to log in 3 times within 1 hour, if the user has tried to log in more than 3 times within that time, the system will refuse further logins until 1 hour has passed.
- Using a sophisticated security system: A sophisticated security system can detect brute force attack activity and provide warnings or even take preventive action before the hack action is successful. Sophisticated security systems are usually also equipped with other security features such as data encryption and access restrictions.
So immediately secure your website from Brute Force attacks so that the website avoids unwanted things. A safe website certainly makes web owners calmer and the data on the website is not widely spread by irresponsible persons.